IntroductionThe course typically covers a range of topics, including:
- Introduction to public finance management: This involves an overview of the role of public finance management in government and public organizations, and the key stakeholders involved.
- Legal and regulatory framework: This covers the legal and regulatory framework governing public finance management, including the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA), Treasury regulations, and other relevant legislation.
- Budgeting and planning: This involves understanding the budgeting and planning process, including budget preparation, approval, and monitoring, as well as the importance of budgetary control and financial planning.
- Accounting and financial reporting: This covers the principles and practices of accounting and financial reporting in the public sector, including the role of the Auditor-General, financial statements, and the importance of transparency and accountability.
- Internal controls and risk management: This involves understanding the importance of internal controls and risk management in public finance management, including the identification and mitigation of financial risks.
- Procurement and supply chain management: This covers the principles and practices of procurement and supply chain management in the public sector, including the importance of transparency, fairness, and competitiveness in procurement processes.